Sunday 3 March 2013

Phil Daintree's shameless lies - Part 2

This page is written in response to the lies that +Phil Daintree has written about me, and spread on the internet. Despite years of searching he has been unable to find anything I have written that is untrue, and he has had to resort to vague generalities, faked emails, and badly fabricated screenshots (you can see the joins if you zoom in using any bit mapped image editor). +Phil Daintree is welcome to make any comments to these pages, as he has done in the past. If I agree with what he says I will amend my writings, if I do not agree I have allowed his comments to stand next to mine so that people can make their own judgements. I have every confidence in the intelligence of readers to make a sensible judgement based on the facts. +Phil Daintree will not allow me the right of reply to any of the lies he has told about me. It seems to me significant that he realises that if people see both sides of the argument they will see through his lies.

As with anything I publish, anybody (except the viagara  salesmen) can comment on my blog. I make a public commitment that I will not attempt to forge or censor any posts, as goes on in all the communication channels on webERP. If Phil Daintree wishes to dispute anything in this blog he is free to do so. If I am wrong I will alter my post. I trust in the common sense and intelligence of people to read the facts and to make up their own minds.

We have a lot of lies to get through so it's time I did another of this series in order to get it completed this year.

Lie number 3 - Phil Daintree's claim to have written "most of the code" in webERP

Phil Daintree claims that other people including me, are exaggerating their contribution to webERP and in a recent email he claimed that "most" of the code had been written by him alone, which justified his claim to own the copyright to the whole code base. Let's examine the basis of this claim. Phil Daintree uses a command that assigns the authorship of a line of code on the basis of the last change to that line. After Phil Daintree discovered this command I noticed that he had started to go through the code adding spaces and tabs to the end of lines of code, where they wouldn't be noticed unless the editor being used was set up to show them. Using his command, this gave him authorship of the line, even though the actual code had been written by someone else.

A little while ago I used a script to remove what is called "trailing white space" and is normally considered a bad thing to have in code. When Phil Daintree realised that this would radically reduce his supposed contribution to the project he accused me of trying to sabotage the project (http://weberp-accounting.1478800.n4.nabble.com/Fwd-Web-erp-svn-SF-net-SVN-web-erp-5765-trunk-td4656055.html#a4656056) due to some unspecified "outside interest". Strangely he reversed out my commit and the posted the identical commit himself, but claiming it as his own work. What was worse about his allegation was that he had by then banned me from posting to the mailing list, and so there was no way to refute this and despite numerous people asking him to, he has never apologised for it.

The other flaw in his argument is that it takes no account of the quality of the code. In other words adding a space onto the end of a line is given the same weight as code that actually does something. One of the most important contributions while I have been involved in the project was Mark Yeager's MRP contribution. But was it actually Mark's? Using Phil Daintree's command, Mark's contribution to the files starting MRP*.* is only 3.1% with the bulk belonging to Phil Daintree. So there you are Phil Daintree is claiming to have written most of the MRP system with the original and true author only being credited with 3.1%!! This claiming other people's work as his own is a familiar theme through all his lies. In the first post of this series I proved how he had taken my purchasing ordering report, copied it and committed it himself as his own work the following day!!

Lie number 4 - Phil Daintree's claim about the sourceforge logo

Phil Daintree claims that my only contribution to making webERP popular was to add the sourceforge logo into the footer of each page of webERP.

This is somewhat extraordinary as it was Phil Daintree himself who added the sourceforge logo to the footer in 2005, nearly two years before I joined the project. I actually took it out for a while!!

Anybody who looks at mailing lists for the period I was the administrator of the project (summer 2007 through to January 2011 when I ceased to be admin because Phil Daintree's ego was put out by the argument over retaining Purchase order history) will see that I spent countless hours helping people with their webERP issues. In fact both before I was admin, and afterwards, until Phil Daintree banned me from helping people on the mailing lists, I spent thousands of hours of my own time helping people. I spent thousands of pounds of my own money traveling, speaking at seminars and conferences helping to promote webERP. This I happily did, without seeking any recompense, or even gratitude from those like Phil Daintree who gained financially from the fact the project had a higher profile. I do however find it sad that Phil Daintree should lie like this in an attempt to denigrate the very hard work I did

Anyway, enough for now, watch out for part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment